523 S Webster, Naperville IL (Martin Mitchell Mansion)
Scope of work:
In 1883 Architect Joseph A. Mulley had designed Pinecraig for George Martin and his family in the Victorian Electric style. The house stood on Locust Hill near Martin’s limestone quarries along the DuPage River. In 1936, Martin’s daughter and last surviving heir, Caroline Martin Mitchell, left the family’s home and estate to the City of Naperville. Pinecraig is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Parging on the South Elevation had spalled at areas between the windows on the second floor and along the gutter on the first floor. This spalling was the result of water leaks in the roofline and gutters. The damaged parging has been removed, a new parging coat to the area using the same materials and techniques as the original application has been applied. The cracks around the first floor window frame have been stabilized.
At the East and South Elevation there was parging damage where scaffolding was anchored to the second floor wall. The appeared damaged has been patched with a caulking material. Missing joints between bricks have been repointed.